Working from home I’ve realized I don’t get up as often as I used to. There’s no walking with friends, getting things off the printer, walking to and from my car, etc. So, except for the occasional dance break with the dogs or to switch a load of laundry, I find myself pretty stationary most of the day. Which is horrible for your body! [especially with my back issues] So I decided to become one of “those people” who sits [read bounces] on an exercise ball at their desk.
So why am I doing this? Why should you do this?
- It forces proper spine alignment. I’m a sloucher, I try to correct it but still end up hunching or slouching behind the screens. Because the ball isn’t stable your body has to try to adjust itself to stay balanced. In order to stay balanced your body will automatically try to align itself into proper posture – which helps your spinal health and decreases back pains!
- Get that 6-pack you’ve been wanting! Ok, maybe not – but it does strengthen and build your core muscles. To aid in balancing, your core is also engaged and if you think how often you’re sitting at the computer every day, those hours can add up and maybe you’ll start to see those abs poke through.
- Inspiration to stretch. Let’s face it – although you’re using the ball as a chair, it’s still a piece of exercise equipment. It’s hard to sit on it without being inspired to stretch or do some strengthening moves throughout the day. Some days Leep will come home to find me rolled out under the desk with my back on the ball stretching my ab & back muscles. [getting back up is the tricky part]
- You can burn up to 350 calories per day. More movement during the day = more calories burned. It will help you stay fit with minimal effort!
- Reduced damage for sitting. A desk job means sitting in the same position, hour after hour, but staying sedentary for too long can be lethal. It’s easy to slump and stay in one spot for extended periods of time. With the ball even the slightest movement causes it to roll and you have to adjust to remain balanced.
- It’s fun! Who doesn’t like the idea of bouncing around all day. If the people on the other end of my conference calls only knew I was bouncing around over here.
So if you’re inclined, want to be healthier at your desk, or just have some fun – grab a ball and join me!