Like everyone else we’re feeling the post-holiday spare tire, extra pounds and bloat here in the Malmy household. Leep and I had our best success in weight loss and healthier lifestyle when we were training for our Tough Mudder and doing a “30 day Paleo” challenge. [post on this coming soon] So for 2017, we’re going back to this lifestyle.
One of our favorite go-to breakfasts are these mini quiches. You make a bunch at once and freeze. Then just pop in the microwave in the morning and go! They’re totally versatile and can easily be changed to avoid repetition. Plus, they will fit in any gluten free, paleo or Whole30 lifestyle you’re doing!
- A dozen eggs
- Chopped vegetables of your choice
- Chopped cooked meat of your choice
- Splash of water
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your muffin tin.
- Chop your veggies. We like to stick with just bell peppers but you could easily use a variety of vegetables such as broccoli, roasted peppers, tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, etc.
- If you’re adding meat, cook it first. Allow to cool some or it will cook your eggs immediately once added. We use a homemade sausage, but you could change it up and use bacon, ham, the options are endless.
- In a large bowl or pitcher break your twelve eggs and season with salt & pepper. Add a splash of water to make them a little fluffier and mix well.
- Fill each muffin tin about 1/3 full with the egg mixture. Add in the meat and vegetables of your choice and then cover with more egg mixture.
- Cook for 17-20 minutes. If you cook too long the eggs will get a weird texture and turn a greenish color. Pull them when the centers are just slightly solid. Tip: If you’re feeling wild and don’t mind the few extra calories, at about 5 minutes left, add a small sprinkle of cheddar cheese to the top of each muffin.
- Let them rest for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. I run a knife around the edges and then use a fork to break them free. Sometimes they can be a bit temperamental when removing and the bottoms will stick.
- Once completely cooled, put in a freezer safe bag and freeze.
- When ready to eat [2 quiches per serving] place in the microwave for 2 minutes, flipping half way through.