5 years. 1,826 days.
Leep & I have been together for 5 years today. Happy Dateversary, Babe!
In honor of our 5 years, I thought I would give a quick 5 tips that have helped us make it through these last 5 years. Then, who doesn’t love a good photo montage?
- Go on adventures together.
- Do things he likes, do things she likes, do things neither of you have ever done before! I remember dragging Leep to his first wine fest. I’m sure he went to make me happy but now he loves them just as much as I do! We both avidly love football and try to attend as many games as we can. If we even just have a free hour before having to pick up Gunnar, sometimes we will go grab an appetizer & a beer.
- Do everything as a team.
- The good, the bad and the ugly should all be faced and conquered as a team. No one person has the final say or is the sole decision maker.
- Communicate effectively.
- Everyone knows communication is the key to any relationship but are you communicating effectively. Are you expressing yourself in a way that is easy to understand and fair to both of you. We’ve had our fair share of trials and tribulations, but no matter what the reason we have a rule of no name calling or cursing at each other during a disagreement.
- Put each other first.
- Families, children, jobs, friends. These all come second to them. You’re best friends and partners in life – always put each other before anything else. Sometimes this means supporting each other even when you disagree.
- Love each other always.
- Life happens. Fights happen. Ruts happen. Joy happens. There will be constant ups and downs and love takes work. Never stop making an effort to love 110% of who they are, 110% of the time. If you can’t muster 110%, just do your best – there’s always tomorrow. Sometimes I’ll tell Leep “I don’t like you right now, but I’ll always love you.”